American Wedding

I took a walk with the palm trees as the daylight fell 
sangria in a canteen
talking to myself 
this tattoo on my left hand 
is turning purple-ish blue 
daydreams of the romance 
daydreams of you 
my pretty woman in a ballgown 
I'm Richard Gere in a tux
getting married in a courthouse 
writing vows in a rush 
making out before the judge 
with my teenage wife 
got a wedding band done 
that I just might die with 

It's an American wedding 
they don't mean too much 
but we were so in love 
we had an american wedding 
now what's mine is yours 
that's american law 

m-r- s dot kennedy 
she signed her name in pen 
in a fancy fancy cursive 
then turned her term papers in 
a thesis on Islamic virgin brides and arranged marriage 
hi-jabs and polygamist husbands
those poor unamerican girls 
after school she ran to me 
jumped in my 5.0 
this is the home of the brave 
land of the free 
but your parents still didn't know 
she said I've had a hell of a summer 
so baby 
don't take this hard 
but maybe we should get an annulment 
before this goes way to far 

It's just an American wedding 
they don't mean too much 
they don't last enough 
we had an american wedding 
now what's mine is yours 
american divorce 

Well you can have my mustang 
that's all I've got in my name 
but Jesus Christ don't break my heart 
this wedding ring won't ever wipe off 
but if you stay 
girl if you stay 
you'll probably leave later anyway 
it's love made in the U.S.A



Comments

Popular Posts