30 Day Blogging Challenge: Day 7

Day 7: Your Five Favourite Songs....

....right now? It's so much easier to answer what I've been listening to right now because trying to make a top 5 list of ALL TIME would take me months.


1. Kid Cudi x Andre 3000 | By Design



"Stop dueling with the real thing, I do think when you think too much you're removing what's moving."

I've ALWAYS loved Kid Cudi, the lonely stoner. The genius behind my fave Kanye album, 808s & Heartbreak and a whole new sound that was influential in this era. Truly ahead of his time like the Aquarius he is! I'd accepted that perhaps Man On The Moon might be his best album much like Hov fans know his best album is in the past. So when this album came out I was hesitant. I KNEW it would be good because he was most likely using music for healing (he was in rehab for depression) and with his previous album he was trying a new sound that didn't quite work but we could see where he was going. When I heard it was called Passion, Pain & Demon Slayin' and after this song was played for me I knew this album would be a gem, and it is. My fave Cudi album to date.

"Tap into the frequency, love"

2. SZA | Drew Barrymore


"Cause it's hard enough you got to treat me like this, lonely enough to let you treat me like this
Do you really love me?"

Damn. Okay SZA. This song is raw, as SZA always is. I guess the song left me jagged because it's to the point and honest and so many of us young ladies can relate. There's no tip toeing around the fact that she says she needs therapy, stays while she's being mistreated, is broken, in love while needing love. Mostly from herself in my opinion. SZA is one of those artists I've loved for a minute. I've BEEN waiting for her first album (I was hoping it'd be called "A" but whatever, beggars can't be choosers) and it's due this month. This is a great debut single, I'm so glad she's shown us this side of her.

" I get so lonely I forget what I'm worth. We get so lonely we pretend that this works."


3. The Internet | Girl


"Girl... They Don't know your worth."

This song is old but, GUYS! Issa ballad for black women everywhere. It's everything, it's perfect. The (Grammy Nominated) Internet has many great tracks but this one just has my heart. My fave album is Purple Naked Ladies but this song just... resonates with me.
I started listening to these guys last year and was SHOOK by how much and consistently I'd play their music. Meaningful lyrics but with beats that resonate so well it's like you don't have to listen to the words, just feel the music and you'd know what's up. I was late but I'm here now! I also have the biggest crush on Syd, like wow she can eat me alive, spit out my bones and I'd be more than happy about it. Honestly, truly.

(Syd has a new album out and y'all should really give it a listen, it's called "Fin")

"We don't fight... We just fuck."

4. 6LACK | PRBLMS


"Remember that I tried to build ya, now I ain't worried 'bout shit."

In case you don't know: it's pronounced black, I was confused too. This track is brilliant and honest, as is his album "FREE 6LACK". Everybody these days is trying to sound like somebody and he just sounds like what I perceive to be himself. I refuse to do research because all my faves are problematic. Listen to this album though.

"So I found me a new thing I'm not as lost as you think."


5. Jamilia Woods | Holy


"Woke up this morning with my mind set I

on loving me."

I listen to this song every morning. It's such a feel good song, HEAVN is generally a feel good mixtape for black women everywhere. She incorporates black womanhood with religion and scripture... I just....
She makes me feel magical. Like my skin is made of honey and magic, like I'm wonderfully and beautiful made.

"I'm not lonely, I'm alone.
And I'm holy, by my own."

Because I'm extra...

6. I just also have to add the intro to Kehlani's SEXYSWEETSAVAGE, the poetress is spoken word GOALS. My fave track on this album is Personal though.



Well. There we are. I did the damn thing. See you tomorrow loves x

Comments

Popular Posts