How Has Insecure Been Good For You As A Black Woman?

I saw this writing prompt and decided to go with it.
I hope you like it!

How Insecure has has been good for me AS A BLACK WOMAN?


For those who don't know, it's a show on HBO by and about a black woman, Issa Rae.
HBO barely has shows that have black actors, let alone black writers so take her working with them as a huge step for black people, especially black women.


Spiritually, physically, emotionally, where do I start breaking this down??
I have a lot to say, and first things first: all hail Isaa Rae!

So let's just dive right in shall we?

1. It Made Me Realize That The Narrator Defines My Experience

Before there was Insecure there was the YouTube series, Awkward Black Girl. This show was a big deal for me, it made me aware of the white washing of my experiences in the things I watch. I didn't realize how significant it would be for me to watch a lead character who looked like me, had similar experiences to my own. Ever since I've had a difficult time watching shows that have no/few PoC.

Yes the human experience is still the human experience but


So I want to hear stories from others who are also awkward and black!

2. There's No Confusion That This is For Me


The show starts with Kendrick Lamar's "Alright" and then follows Issa's first scene, being put on the spot with black stereotypes.
Oh sorry, those concerning black women, specifically.
 So, just in case I had any fears that Issa Rae sold out to HBO, I was then assured as a black woman that this show is for me, specifically.
We see this throughout with the language and soundtrack chosen in this show.

In the latest episode, Lawrence is stopped by the police and briefly fears for his life while if this was a white actor, the scene would have been overlooked.
This show is for black women, but what happens to black men effects us too so she highlights it.

3. Changing the narrative of the black girl who cheats



Black women. Please raise your hand  if you've ever cheated and been near crucified. Or watch your home girl damn near get crucified for it.


I'm not justifying cheating or saying it's okay or that women do it it's better/worse. Cheating is a terrible thing to do, one of the worst things you can do to someone you're supposed to be in a committed relationship with.
But can we please not pretend there isn't a this moral expectation on women to be above it? It's so clear with the debates on social media on why Lawrence shouldn't take Issa back.
Black men are out here projection some of their shortcomings on Issa and I'm not here for it.


She wasn't right but she isn't the devil either.

4. Changing the narrative of an "ordinary" black girl 


I have been f*ckng with Issa since Awkward Black Girl and it changed my life. It made me realize how white washed most shows are because she has problems that I have as a black woman specifically.

Also, Issa is black. She's as ordinarily black as they come and she is magical.
Notice I didn't say but. 


5. Tasha probably being the most emotionally intelligent person on the show


All hail KWEEN Tasha!

So when we are introduced to Tasha she comes off as  a little bit thirsty, her large chest trying to give us the impression that she might be slutty, you know? Her support of Lawrence almost a "pick me" vibe.
 That "simple" "bimbo" who stole your man.
 However, when we dig deeper we realize that Tasha is forgiving, flexible, has a kind soul.
She wasn't some "sidechick" who "snatched" Lawrence.
She's a black woman going to night classes so she can eventually become a bank manager. She's a person who forgives and isn't hesitant in expressing her emotions.



Tasha is an ambitious woman [who has her sh*t together btw] who dates who she considers a good man right after he has gotten out of a serious relationship. 
She forgives him, even feeds him and then proceeds to invite him to a family barbecue since he seems to be somewhat serious with her and when he disappoints her, she cuts him off.
A woman. 
A Goddess. 
Be like Tasha.

6. Lawrence is actually a good black man.




I know I have said a lot of bad things about Lawrence but in all honesty, I'm actually quite fond of him.
The flip side is that Lawrence is like a lot of us other millennials; still trying to figure life out.
Yes. I can say this even if I'm not on #TeamLawrence
Look, apart from that Lawrence is a good man. Aware of his feelings, faithful, kind, beautiful and committed. And good black men need that representation, it's important with shows like Power that has a continuously cheating husband (Yet for some reason Ghost is not being judged as harshly as Issa).
No shade, we need diverse black characters on TV, I just don't see enough Lawrences even in white men on TV; good guys with good intentions. Not entitled pricks.
And that's refreshing.


7. Molly: Accomplished but unfulfilled in a way that is not corny



In season 1 Molly is portrayed as the typical black girl, successful but without a man. And she's insecure, feeling like that's her fault, no matter how hard she tries. She's trying to snatch a n*gga like the n*gga store is about to run out and discontinue them.

She is the projection of many black women out there who feel as if there is something wrong with them for being successful and single with standards.
Then Issa does the thing she does, she breaks those characters down to more than just another stereotype.
In season 2 we find Molly in a space where she is sincerely working on herself, going to therapy, not as thirsty.
In fact, in S02E03 she goes on a date with a "perfect" guy who she would have tried marrying last season and now she is aware of how unfulfilling her search for companionship was and she is currently redefining it for herself.
In the meantime, she will carry her own boxes and hire men to assemble things for her.
I can relate to Molly right now. I think many of us can.


Also she will always be a legend for coining the term "Achilles Dick"

8. The black men in this show are fine as hell


Do you still have errands?
Some of them are even sweet, too.


HEY.
I didn't promise that all my points would be filled with emotional and intellectual mumbo jumbo.
This too is a form of assistance that I am more than thankful to Issa for.

9. The realities of relationships highlighted in a black way



From missing family barbecues (Imagine your bae bailed on a family braai...?!) to all the misconceptions on keeping a man, having a man


 and the relationship dynamics between black women and black men.
They're all highlighted in real, blackity black ways, how many of us could relate to Molly when she was trying not to be bitter about the fact that black men often prefer other races to black women? What other shows have you watched that have openly discussed this?
None?
I thought so.
The false hope Issa had when she was coming back for Lawrence and the ugly cry while her best friend held her reminding us again that black women are also human.
Yes fam, we do cry, even when we are at fault and I applaud Issa for reminding the world.

 

10. & because of all these things there are interesting and necessary dialogues among black people taking place

I don't have to say much on this, just check social media out.
This has been one of my fave responses.


So yes, these are all the ways Issa Rae has made being a black woman even more lit, don't let anybody fool you and tell you that representation does not matter.
Seeing Issa win like this by being on HBO, seeing her on TV going through some bullsh*t I'm going through is therapeutic and necessary.
Are there points I missed?
You're free to share, I'll be expanding on this list until the end of season 2

Comments

  1. Hi, we provide beauty tips on all our social platforms..do visit Haute Her

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog post is really very informative & interesting. Thanks for sharing. For more updates on online shopping Coupons & discount Codes please visit Jumia Coupons 2021

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts